Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Bond of Food

    Have you ever ordered food you've never tried and when it was set before you, you knew you 'd made the right decision? That's how it was when I first met Sierra. I took one look at her awesome glasses and knew we were going to be great friends. Well, that we were both becoming sign language interpreters was also another good indication!

      From that day on Sierra has been an amazing and supportive friend. Reading reams upon reams of pages for my novels, encouraging me when I was down, and keeping my signing skills sharp whenever I have need. What a trooper! We realized our mutual love of food when she came over one day and I made her my famous (and much devoured) Red Lentil Soup, which I will post here sometime soon. When she saw I made it from scratch she begged me for the recipe, saying she loved making food from scratch herself! Since then we've traded recipes here and there and when she came to me asking if I would like to make a food blog with her, I was elated! Sharing my recipes AND getting to steal learn some from her? How could I say no!?

     I truly believe there are only two things that connect humans to each other, even when language fails, or cultural ideas clash.

Food and music.

    It brings us together and transcends language and politics. Food is an amazing thing. It can bring back memories of childhood, or cause us to stop what we are doing to enjoy the moment of that first bite; a bite that makes us appreciate the moment of simply being and enjoying. A moment that will become a memory or pleasure. And all that from food. It is in that spirit that I cook. It may not always be fancy, it may not always get a Michelin Star, but it makes people happy. When I see people close their eyes, or widen them in delighted surprise as they eat food I've slaved over, it makes the hour of stress worth it. 

    Please enjoy the recipes we make--some are experiments, and some are tried and true--and I hope they produce the same reaction for the people you serve!

   Oh! As a bonus for reading this post, here is a free Cooking Tip: Always keep a glass of wine handy, it'll save your nerves when something goes wrong! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment