Thursday, January 9, 2014

Abondigas Soup

Abondigas soup is one of my favorite soups to order at my favorite Mexican restaurant. This was the first time that I have ever made this soup in my entire life!!! I combined a couple of recipes to get the desired resemblance I wanted! It is a two step process: making meatballs and making soup. You are supposed to boil the meatballs in the soup while its cooking, but my family loves them too much to fit it all in one pot. So, I switched up the game by cooking them in the oven. Hope you enjoy this soup as much as we did!!!! Happy Souping!

 
These are the ingredients needed for this soup (minus the rice, I forgot). This time, the soup only cost me $6.68 because we already had the broth and tomato sauce. The celery, carrots and potato* (I would not have had enough room in the pot for so I did not add it, its sad for I love potatoes) were left over from the Super Loaded Baked Potato soup. My goal is to not waste anything, so I was super happy that I was able to reuse these ingredients! (Also, it saves some money). The total cost per serving (at around 10 servings) was only $0.67!

 
The first step I did, was to wash the cilantro. After, I pulled the little leaves off the stem and chopped them all up. I divided it in half: one half for the meatballs and the other half for the soup.

 
I cooked the rice and let it cool. I placed it in a bowl along with the ground beef, garlic, cilantro, cumin, salt & pepper, and egg. I mixed it up and rolled them into balls. I placed them in a baking dish that was sprayed with Pam and placed them in the oven at 350* for 35 -40 minutes.


 
After the meatballs were thoroughly cooked, I placed them off to the side.

 
Next, I used 7 cups of beef broth and placed it in the stock pot.

 
I then added all of the veggies in the broth as well as the tomato sauce, cumin, oregano, and salt&pepper.

 
I brought the soup up to a boil, then reduced the heat to let it simmer for 30 minutes.

 
A few minutes before the soup was finished, I added some of the meatballs into the soup to warm them up and to let them absorb the broth.
 
 
This is the final result!!! With this recipe, I was able to get about 10 servings out of it. There were five of us eating and we all had seconds. It was pretty close to the soup that I order from my favorite restaurant and I LOVED IT!!
 
The printable version
 
 


Abondigas Soup
MeatBalls:  (Makes around 20 good sized meatballs)
§  2 lbs ground beef
§  1 egg
§  4 garlic cloves
§  1 cup of uncooked rice
§  Cilantro leaves, chopped
§  2 teaspoons ground cumin
§  Salt and pepper

 Abondigas Soup:
§  7 cups beef broth
§  ¾ cup onion, chopped
§  3 stalks of celery, chopped
§  3 carrots, peeled and chopped
§  1 large zucchini, chopped
§  ½ a small head of cabbage, chopped
§  1  8oz can of tomato sauce
§  Cilantro leaves, chopped
§  ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
§  1 ½ teaspoons oregano
§  Salt and pepper to taste

 1.        Make the meatballs first. Turn oven on to 350*. Next, need to cook the 1 cup of rice until fully cooked, let it cool. In a bowl mix the hamburger meat, cooled riced (do not need to refrigerate, only needs to be cool enough to handle), one egg, garlic, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix together thoroughly. Form medium size meatballs in hand and place in a pam sprayed baking dish. When finished making all the balls, place the baking dish in the oven for 35-40 minutes (can be more or less depending on the size of the meatballs) until it is fully cooked. Set aside.

2.      Combine Beef Broth, onion, celery, carrot, zucchini, cabbage, tomato sauce, cilantro leaves, cumin, oregano, and salt & pepper.

3.      Bring to a boil, and reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

4.     A few minutes before the soup is ready, place some (or all) of the meatballs in the soup.

5.      Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment