Saturday, January 4, 2014

Super Loaded Baked Potato Soup



No joke. This soup is AMAZING!!!!!! The first time I tried this, I felt like my mouth went to foodie heaven. The total cost for meal was $18.96 (I bought bulk celery, carrots and green onion), but it fed 8 adults and we still had left overs. Lets say there was 10 servings (and by servings, I mean heaping bowls full) that is still only $1.90 per serving. If you want to make this meal to use for dinner and lunch the next day, you would still have plenty to save in the freezer for future meals. So the first step is the ingredients...

 
Since this is my first blog entry I was excited to get started. So I prepped the carrots, onion, and celery early in the day and waited until later to begin cooking.
 
 
 
First is the bacon. It calls for one pound, but I just bought one package of Applewood Smoked Bacon. It doesn't matter what kind of bacon you use, I like the smokey flavor (plus it was the cheaper one). If you put the bacon into the freezer for about 10 to 15 mins, it is easier to chop up compared to when it is only refrigerated. (I actually chopped up the potatoes while I was waiting for the bacon to get cold). I just chopped the bacon coarsely and through it into a huge stockpot to cook, stirring to make sure it all cooked.
 
 
After the bacon was cooked, I spooned it out onto a plate and patted the grease off. I split the bacon in half, one for the soup and the other for the garnish. I left the grease in the stock pot and poured the prepped veggies into the pot. I cooked the veggies until the onions were translucent.
 
 
After the onions become translucent, I added the chopped potatoes, both the russet and the red potatoes, and cooked it for 4 mins. After that, I added 1/4 cup of flour into the pot and constantly stirred for 5 minutes, until the mixture became thicker.
 
 
After the mixture thickened, I added 2 cups of chicken broth (I bought it on accident instead of stock) and tossed in one half of the bacon. I brought this to a simmer and cooked it for 25 mins.
 
 
After the time was up, I smashed most of the potato mix to make it more smooth (you can determine the thickness and consistency to your own desires). I then added the entire 32 oz container of heavy whipping cream into the stock pot and let it simmer for 5 mins. The soup looked thick so I added more chicken broth to the pot until it reached my desired consistency. At this point, it is finished and I dished it out. You can add different toppings: green onions, sour cream, cheese, the other half of the bacon, or whatever your heart desires. Here is the final product. :)
 
Here's the Printable version of this recipe. Enjoy!!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment