Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Cool Cucumber Soup

 I'm sure somewhere in Russia people are cursing California for having all the sun and year round heat. But you know what, I would gladly trade them some rain and cold for sunshine! If only you could trade light! We're in the thick of a hot summer here in Southern California (that's SoCal to us locals), and short of taking your skin off there's not much you can do if you don't have an air conditioner in your house that's working. Stupid air conditioning! So I have this soup instead. Its yummy  (a vegetable no less!), light, and COLD. Cold is the important word in there folks. Say it with me. Cooooooold. I feel cool already!

 The soup is ridiculously easy to make! So easy your 5 year old could probably make it without your help! That's right, if you can get free labor to save you from having to become even hotter than you already are, then do it! Just remind them how many hours it took to birth them and they should stop complaining. Or you know, bribe them with Popsicles. I made this soup late at night, and even WITH taking pictures I finished in 30 minutes. That's with taking photos! Imagine how fast it'll be without needing to do that! So here you go, Cucumber soup! 

Meet the entire cast! No really, this is it you guys! 

See that greek yogurt I snuck in there? See how secretly healthy this is!?

 So like I said, this is super easy!You know, so you don't have to sweat any more than you have to. First, chop the three cucumbers in half. Then peel them. You could peel it all first then chop it, but I found that it's kinda slippery, so it's better to chop them in half to begin with. This is where you'll run into the only hard part! Pesky seeds! 

Pretty but not so tasty if you get them in your soup! 

Now  I suppose you could just use a spoon to scrape out all the seeds. BUT I LIKE BEING FANCY! So I dug around my fancy drawer and found my melon baller! You guys, no joke, that thing is AWESOME. Use it to de-seed cucumbers. It's amazing! I bet you could use it for all sorts of things besides for melons! 

I cleaned this out in less than thirty seconds! 

After than you're going to cut it in half length wise then chop them in half cross wise. Not TOO small. Maybe an inch in width? You'll be putting it in a blender, so don't get out your rulers or anything! 

Chop, chop, chop!

Next you chop up the mint! I used mint from my garden, which is lemon mint, but you can add any kind you want! I feel like pineapple mint might make for a really interesting flavor! I didn't show how I minced the mint last time, so here's a picture by picture of how! 

Pile  them up on top of each other!
Roll 'em up!

slice em width wise!


Slice 'em length wise! You're done!




 That's the most complicated thing you're going to do! Next is the EASY part! I did this in two batches because I have a small blender. If you have a food processor, seriously use it! You're going to throw in your cucumbers, coconut milk (I used  cream because I wanted it thicker. LEARN FROM ME. Use the cream!), greek yogurt, cumin, a dash of salt, pepper, and mint! You can add your dill too, I forgot to add it in, and had to throw it in at the last minute! 

 


Blend it all up! Mine came out a bit...choppy? Fine granules of cucumber! Not bad at all, but I bet it could be made smoother with a nice blender or food processor. I think my blender is from the 90's. How it's still alive and kicking (mostly) I have NO idea. I think it sold its soul to run forever or something. 

Once your done, pour it into a bowl and adjust seasoning. Just so you know, salt actually becomes saltier when soaking in food over time, so go easy on the salt (again, LEARN FROM MISTAKES!). 


See the granules? It added a fun texture, but I think smoother would be better!

Added dill at the last minute as an afterthought! Oops!

This soup has to chill for at LEAST 3 hours  (makes it thick!), I made mine to rest overnight to have for lunch! It was so cooling and delicious! You can have the option to then cut up an extra cucumber (peeled of course!) and sprinkle it into your bowl. Or just enjoy it without them! I ate it both ways and loved it! The I wish you guys had smell-o-vision. This stuff smelled so good and tasted so light and refreshing! ENJOY! 


Cool Cucumber Soup

 4 Cucumbers peeled, seeded (Only 3. The fourth is for garnish) 

 1 cup greek yogurt

 1 14oz can coconut cream (coconut milk is fine if you can't find the cream, but I can't be blamed if it turns out more watery!) 

2 Tablespoons (or however much you want. I had more than 2) Mint

1/4 Teaspoon cumin 

Salt/Pepper to taste 

Dill to taste 

Directions: 

Peel, de-seed, and chop up 3 cucumbers. Mince the mint. Put everything in a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend it up! Readjust seasoning if you wish--remember that salt gets saltier in dishes over time! if it's under salted by the time you take it out, just add more salt then! Pour soup in bowl and cover, putting in fridge to sit for at LEAST 3 hours. Overnight is better! 





No comments:

Post a Comment